Description: This is a commencement address contest.
The Challenge: You will write an original speech and then deliver it.
Tips for Presentation: You can stick to the usual attire or perhaps be more creative, but you must be dressed– haha, not the time for a senior prank!
How to Submit: Upload your video to us using this Google Form (Title your file: First Name Last Name Video Title), along with your written speeches (Title your file: First Name Last Name Speech Title).
Entry Deadline: May 15.
Selection: We will upload the videos to YouTube in our Class of 2020 Commencement Speech Playlist. The general public and your fellow classmates will have the opportunity to hear your parting words and VOTE for our winner(s) via a Google Form on our website and social media posts. Votes will be tallied and count for 50% of your final score, and our teacher consultants will score your entries as well for the other 50%. We will have as many places (1st, 2nd, 3rd) as the monetary donations allow.
Announcement: Finalists will be announced on May 20th.
Okay, excited and motivated SENIOR, here are your rules:
- One submission (one speech document and one video) per student will be accepted. If you upload prematurely or decide on another idea later, just email us and let us know which to accept as your entry.
- Don’t plagiarize. We can tell.
- Be an original and have fun.
- Limit your videos to 12 minutes and speech to 2,000 words. As you probably know from your own online habits, people don’t have that great of attention spans, and even the best commencement speeches are under 15 minutes long.
- Review and adhere to the rubric to give yourself the best chance of winning.
- Make sure the background of your video is appropriate. You can certainly be silly and have fun with some of the quarantine or graduation themes, but nothing you wouldn’t be comfortable with your five year-old little sister seeing or that wouldn’t make your grandma proud, capeesh?
- Submit both your video and speech by May 15th at midnight via this Google Form.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, issues, or concerns. We will get back to you as soon as possible!
Notice of Use/Copyright: By submitting your work, you’re giving Project Write, Inc. permission to share your wise words and likeness (video) with our followers on social media and YouTube since a major goal of this project is giving you a platform for your work! You also grant Project Write, Inc., permission to use your words and likeness in other promotional material for our programs. However, as the original creator, you maintain ownership (copyright) of your material.
- Share our contest posts on your social media and be sure to follow us on Insta, FB, and subscribe to our YouTube channel. The more this contest is shared, the more likely that we’ll have a bigger pot and more scholarship funds for our winners.
- Encourage your friends and relatives to donate to the contest fund! Donations can be made to our organization via the Facebook Donation posts or sent to email@example.com via PayPal (friends and family option please).
- See if your English teacher would accept this as extra credit. We’re all doing our best to navigate virtual learning, distance learning, or whatever your particular district is calling it. They may be open to the idea and give you credit!
We’re teachers, so you know we developed a rubric. If you want to see the score sheet, click here!